Friday, August 24, 2012

My biggest case

I knew we were in trouble when I saw who had been assigned as the Judge of our case. My concern was confirmed at our first hearing, some months later. A Christian group had moved to intervene. During my oral argument opposing their motion, I was delivering comments to the Judge when I became aware that he was trying to stare me down. I got angry, the anger came out in my eyes, which glared at him, and it was he who looked away. He covered what he was doing by shuffling papers around in front of him. I knew we didn't have a chance at that point. When he issued his ruling on the cross motions for summary judgment a couple of weeks ago, I wasn't surprised that he ruled against us, though I was surprised at how deep his prejudice apparently runs. The self-righteous are my least favorite people. The oral argument, though, was good for me. It was my best moment as a lawyer. I beat the other side. Everyone thought that, and I could tell from the other lawyers that they thought that, too. The Judge didn't try to challenge me, just let me talk. Still, it's hard to lose this case. I will appeal. But I don't expect much to come from it. Seeing how much of a difference the Judge makes, and how much lawyers are willing to lie, has soured me on the profession. John, Friday, August 24, 2012

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home