Friday, March 10, 2006

We have spaghetti

I'm a lawyer with my own firm, and my wife, Kristina, does part time work for me.

Today was one of her days in the office, so we went out to dinner.

Maia was in her car seat when I got outside to the car--Kristina had just picked her up from preschool. Maia was fussy as she often is after preschool and before dinner.

"I wanna go on the restaurant," she said, beginning to cry, as we turned up Alakea Street.

We had been talking about going out to a restaurant for dinner. Maia's crying as we turned up Alakea Street had seemed to come out of nowhere.

" 'To the restaurant', Maia," I corrected her.

More crying. "Don't cry, we're going to go. Where would you like to go?" I asked.

More histrionics.

"How about Zippy's?" I asked, making a right turn onto King Street from Alakea for Zippy's. I know that she likes spaghetti there. Mostly because of the garlic bread. "Misgetti," she calls it.

"Yay, Zippy's!" she said.

"Yay, Zippy's!" I said.

She was happy, I was happy, Kristina was happy, and we all stayed that way through dinner.

At the time that this happened, I thought it was just a tantrum. It was only writing this that I put it together--Alakea is the street that we take to go home from my office. Maia has an extremely good spatial memory. When we turned up Alakea, it must have looked like we were going home. If we had kept on going up Alakea, we would have been headed home; when we turned onto King Street, it was clear that we weren't going home.

I need to remember that when she cries, it's probably for a reason. Especially when the crying doesn't appear to have any reason at all.

John, March 10, 2006

6 Comments:

Blogger SXYMMA said...

awwww I got your blog off bluestbutterfly's blog...and I intend on bookmarking it. I love the stories of your little girl!! I read that you want to post pictures...all you have to do is save the pictures to your computer, and then upload them using the button on the post screen. I hope to see pictures soon!! I also keep a blog about my baby, if you would like to check it out! Have a good day!

3/11/2006 08:09:00 AM  
Blogger Raghu said...

Lovely Blog... I bookmarked it too... cant wait to hear more. Wanna see a pic of the Lovely Maia soon... I'm all in waiting :)

3/15/2006 06:53:00 PM  
Blogger Raghu said...

To add a pic, do the following
1. Go to new post
2. Click on the Image icon in the composer
3. Choose a picture from harddisk
4. Upload
5. Publish Post

Hope to see it soon...

3/15/2006 06:55:00 PM  
Blogger Raghu said...

I know i have seen Maia somewhere in Mythology and Fiction.. I googled and here's what i got

1. "The Pleiades" was the name given to the seven daughters of Atlas and Pleione. Maia was the eldest of the daughters, and said to be the most beautiful...

2. Maia (star) in astronomy, (20 Tauri) is the third brightest of the seven bright stars in the Pleiades open star cluster.

3.A Maia in J. R. R. Tolkien's mythos are angelic beings who pre-date the creation of MiddleEarth.

3/15/2006 07:00:00 PM  
Blogger John said...

Well, if I weren't so clueless I would find a failsafe way of letting you both know how much I appreciate your comments. I love writing about my little girl and am so happy that you enjoy the stories.

3/24/2006 02:29:00 AM  
Blogger John said...

Raghunath:
"Maya" is also a Hawaiian word for banana bark. I thought of that name because of her coloring. She has brown hair with lots of red highlights in it. Her skin is very fair and pink.
Kristina didn't like that spelling, though, because it reminded her of the Hindu "maya," which I understand from her refers to "this world" as delusion. So we settled upon Maia. I have since learned that "Maia" has many meanings, including one that you mentioned (though the other two were news to me). We also adopted Maia on May 7th, which makes "Maia" sort of fitting.

3/24/2006 09:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home