Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Fake Dad




Today, after we picked her up, Maia said that one of Maia's friends at school had called me her "fake Dad."



Maia and this girl have been competitive for some time. My guess is that it probably has to do with the fact that I'm a lawyer, and Maia has broadcast that fact. Maia knows that we have more than most people and that I make more than most people.



What the girl had said clearly bothered Maia. Me, too.



"I didn't talk about her Dad," she complained.



Later, I tried to explain how bragging makes people react.

"I wasn't bragging," she protested. So I let it drop.



I had to come back to work tonight--a hearing to prepare for.

Before I left, Maia hugged me and said, "You're my real Dad."

I hugged her back and thanked her for that.

Not sure where this is going yet. We'll see.

The pics are of us on a hike last Saturday. I've been kept away by work from Maia and Kristina and had wanted to spend some time with them, and Cocoa, too. When I had gotten ready to leave that morning, Cocoa had alerted and given me an expectant look, hoping that she would be going, too. But I couldn't take her to work.

I went home early from work on Saturday, and we spent the afternoon hiking on a trail at the top of the mountain we live on.

Cocoa loves that trail. She flies up and down it at full gallop, and there are always things to track--wild chickens, pigs, mongoose, other dogs.

It is a pretty place, and we all had fun. Cocoa rode shotgun on the way home.



John, Tuesday, May 17, 2011

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home