Sunday, November 12, 2006

We talk about love and death


"Some birds can break and die," she said.

We were driving down the hill to the park, and there had been a bird standing on the pavement on our side of the road. We hadn't hit it, but I guess it had made her think.


"Yes, birds die," I said. "All animals die," I said, a little uncertainly, not sure about opening up this topic.

"Even some trees," Maia said. "They will die."

"Yes, trees, too. All plants will die, Maia," I said.

"Even some flowers," she said.

"Yes, sweetie. All animals, all plants, all living things will die," I said.

She thought about this. "Even grass," she said.

"Yes. Even grass."

I tried to get philosophical. "It's a cycle," I said. "It's a not a bad thing. Things die so other things can live. When we die, we become part of the earth, and air, and water, all over again."

I was being less than persuasive.


"That's why it's important to have fun while we're alive," I said. "And do good things. And fill your life with love. That's we should love Mommy, and you and Mommy should love Daddy, and Popo, and Grandma and Grandpa..."

She said something then, but I couldn't make it out.



"What?"

"Even Harley," she repeated.


Harley is a dog my folks got recently. He's not a very friendly dog--growls and even nips--and our theory is that he was mistreated.

"Yes, even Harley," I said.

These pictures are from when we got to the park. She climbed lots of things, including a pole and one of the legs of the swings--she's really very good at it. I was especially impressed that she climbed this narrow pole to a climbing structure. She must have gone up a good 8 feet.

She also played with a little boy she met at the park. He was about 3, maybe younger. She was very sweet with him.

Don't know what to make of her comment about Harley. Sometimes, she puts things together in ways that take you by surprise.
John, Sunday, November 12, 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home