Saturday, April 12, 2008

"I was in somebody else's stomach?"

We were at the Mission House. It was Family Day.
The Mission House is across from what became Iolani Palace and was the first house in Hawaii to have windows and doors.
We were eating shave ice and watching a mother walk down a path with a baby in her carrier. The baby was facing out from the mother's chest and was very cute.
"Yes," Kristina said, responding to you.
"Where were you?"
"I was here," Kristina said. "Let's see--July 15th, 2002--I was working."
Kristina thought more about it but nothing couldn't capture any more detail.
You got distracted, then, by the fire truck, that was giving people rides. You wanted one.
You say things like that every once in a while that let us know that you're thinking about things, and what it means to be adopted.
I wondered not too much later in the day if we shouldn't put you in an all girls' school. There are boy issues in your kindergarten class. And I remember my brother, Mark, saying once that he wished that they had put their girls in an all girls school.
But Mommy didn't think that was a good idea.
She's right. You should grapple with all of this with a full deck of the situations and relationships you will need to learn to deal with.
You continue to surprise me with how much you are learning.
Earlier in the day, on the way to Mission House, you told me that you knew how to spell, "juice." You were cheating, I think, because you were reading it from the juice box you were drinking from. And I told you so.
"But you read, 'juice,' and you knew what you were reading," I said.
And then we spelled "ice," "mice," and "nice." And then I asked you to spell, "twice."
And you did it.
John, Saturday, April 12, 2008

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home