Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Why did you pick me?

This morning on the way to school, Maia had us account for ourselves.
How did you meet, Mommy? she wanted to know.
Well, Daddy was working at a school, I said, and I needed an assistant. And so I advertised, and Mommy applied for the job, and I hired her.
How did you get married?
Well, we were working together, and we liked each other, and we fell in love, I said. So I asked her to marry me. And she said she'd think about it, I added, laughing. She thought about it for three years, and then Auntie Kalei finally said it was time for us to get married. So she arranged it. And we got married in California.
Why aren't you pregnant, Mais asked. She meant, Why can't you get pregnant. ANd that's how Kristina answered the question.
Some women can't get pregnant, she said, and I was one of those women.
Why did you pick me, she wanted to know now.
Well, they gave you to us to hold, I said. Mommy held you first. And then I held you, and you fell asleep. And then when they came to take you back--they didn't let us stay with you very long--maybe just 10 minutes or so--you woke up and cried. You didn't want to go back. And we didn't want you to go back.
She stopped asking questions then.
We wondered later why she had asked those questions of us.
John, Tuesday, March 23rd (in the early morning of Wednesday, March 24th).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home