Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My friend, Richard Sturtevant

I was an infantry platoon leader in Viet Nam, although by the time of what I want to tell you about, I had become a Battalion Adjutant. A personnel officer. HR for the infantry.

I had been taken out of the field, in other words, and was in the rear. That wasn't by choice. I always felt safer in the field. But because I had been successful as a platoon leader, I was promoted to S-1.

My best friend in the rear was Richard Sturtevant.

Once he was playing chess with another friend--a maverick from West Point. Sturtevant was playing black, and my other friend was playing white. "When are you going to play white, Sturtevant?" I asked. "You get to be a move ahead before the game even begins."

Sturtevant smiled at me and chuckled, but he looked slyly at my other friend, who was also smiling.

I was wrong about the country, Richard. It really is better than I thought, much better.

Mea culpa.

I thought about you a lot, today. I've been thinking about you ever since November 4th.

I've tried to locate you many times on Google. If somehow or other you stumble upon this, I would really like to hear from you again.

John, Tuesday, Inauguration Day, January 20, 2009.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home